Resources in the district...
- INDUSTRIAL ESTATE AND AREA :
- KOPPAL TALUKA Koppal taluk is not having
both Industrial area and Industrial Estate. A proposal to develop an Industrial
Area of 118 acres near Ginigera village is pending with KIADB. Also a
proposal to develop an Industrial Estate of 20 acres is pending with KSSIDC.
- GANGAVATHI TALUKA There is a KSSIDC Industrial
Estate. There are 4 sheds. 2 'C' Type and remaining 2 supermini sheds.
There is no Industrial Area in this taluk.
- KUSHTAGI TALUKA KSSIDC has acquired about
10 acres and 10 guntas of land near Kustagi towards Ilakal road for establishing
an Industrial Estate. KIADB Industrial Area of 38 acres established in
Kushtagi town on NH-13.
- YELBURGA TALUKA There is no Industrial
Area. KSSIDC have proposed to develop Industrial Estate at Yelburga in
30 acres of land on Mudhol road.
- EDUCATION :There are 988 primary schools and 151 high schools in the district.
There are 7 degree colleges and 1 private Ayurvedic medical college in the district.
There are 3 Polytechnic colleges in the district.
There are total of 86 Libraries in the district.
There is 1 Navodaya School in Kukanoor of Yelburga taluka.
- HEALTH : There are 4 Govt. Alopathic Hospitals in the district with a total of 280 beds capacity.
There are 14 private hospitals. There are 39 Primary Health Centres in the district with a total of 234 beds capacity.
There is 1 Primary Health Unit in the district. There are 5 Comunity Health Centers with a total of 150 beds capacity.
There are 44 Family Welfare Centres and 175 Family Welfare Sub-centers.
- VETERNARY : This district is provided with
8 Veterinary Hospitals, 36 Veterinary Dispensaries, 22 Primary Veterinary Dispensaries,
4 Mobile Dispensaries and 4 Artificial Insemination Centres.
- TRADE, COMERCE MARKETING ETC. The Agriculture
Produce Marketing Committee [APMC] has been the major trader of the agriculture
produce in the taluk. The products traded in the APMC are Paddy, Rice, Jawer,
Maize, Wheat, Navane, Dals, Bengalgram, Blackgram, Greengram, Horsegram, Cowpeas,
Groundnut, Till, Sunflower, Onion, Castor, Jaggery, Greenchilly, Cotton etc.
The quantum of trade in Koppal APMC crosses 3000 lakhs. The quantum of trade
in Gangavathi APMC crosses 35000 lakhs. This APMC is the second largest in
the state. The quantum of trade in Kustagi APMC crosses 1000 lakhs. The quantum
of trade in Yelburga APMC crosses 2300 lakhs.
- SPECIAL FEATURE OF DISTRICT :
- Handicrafts by Kinnal Artisans :
Beautiful wooden idols, toys and theatrical equipments are manufactured
at Kinnal, an interior village about eight miles from Koppal Railway Station.
There are about twenty families of the 'Chitragar' community engaged in this industry.
Certain varieties of soft-wood known as Pallaki Katgi and Yelgatti are used to
produce these articles.
The articles produced are of exquisite quality and finish. The entire work, which is done with
modest tools, requires a high degree of craftsmanship. The articles produced are
generally in traditional patterns and comprise the following :
- Idols of deities such as Lakshmi, Saraswati, Shankara, Parvati,
Hanuman, Garuda, Ganapathi, Gowri and several others. The idols are
beautifully painted and and produced in small, medium and also in big sizes.
- Animals, mostly of religious significance, such as bull, cow,
monkey, elephant, deer and snake.
- Models of all sorts of fruits and vegetables in natural shapes and sizes with a
- Wooden headgears, costumes, masks and various other articles used in Indian ballet dances.
- Cradles, peethas and such other articles in fascinating colours.
- There are many Human Hair Processing Units at Bhagyanagar.
- Hand-embroidery Industry
Hand embroidery is practiced by a section of the Khatri community of Bhagyanagar,
a village near Koppal. The embroidered pieces, done in line stitch and cross stitch,
depict traditional motifs of parrot, peacock, temple and temple gate, various flowers and animals.
Artistic choli-khana fabrics, embroidered sarees and garments of established reputation are
produced here. The attractive and native motif of embroidery, tastefully arranged in gorgeous colour
schemes, are evidence of a high degree of craftsmanship.
Resources in the district...